The beautiful Connemara ponies that you can see at our ranch did not start their heritage in Colorado! Indeed, the lineage of our ponies goes back to the Connemara region of western Ireland. This region is harsh and the people who lived there needed a breed that could stand up to the harsh conditions. Thus, the hardy and versatile Connemara pony was bred.
The exact makeup of the Connemara is not clear but there are suspicions that the original Connemara ponies had Arabian blood added to the line.
Here is some additional basic information about our favorite breed:
- Connemaras should be around 128cm to 148cm when fully grown. They should also not exceed the height of 14.2hh. None of our ponies have ever exceeded the maximum height.
- They can come in a variety of colors including Grey, Black, Bay, Brown and Chestnut. Various combinations between these colors exsist as well.
- Often missed is the fact that the Connermara Pony head should have a short profile. This should be accompanied by a broad forehead.
- The body of our ponies is exceptionally deep with a strong thick back and shoulders that show an exceptional slope.
- Forearms should be longer than most ponies or horses and elbows should be fully liberated.